Thursday, February 02, 2006

Time to Make a Difference

Everyone is always complaining about something or making a big deal about something. This weekend the Basic Seminar starts in NYC -- the seminar that I helped bring here. While everyone is out drinking or making a big deal about the Super Bowl or gambling trips or just hanging out, I'm proud that I'm actually doing something that matters this weekend. I've never missed a Super Bowl in probably at least 10 years, but I honestly don't care at all that I'm missing this one given what I'm missing it for. I'm helping people who want to improve their lives. It's great being around people who actually want to move forward. I feel like not being around those people is a disservice to myself because otherwise I will probably get stuck in a rut not going anywhere either.

I've been worried about staffing because I need to become what all these people want to become, and a lot of times I don't feel like I'm in any different situation than they are (in terms of state of mind). Staffing and going through with everything for this weekend will really be a big step in getting out of my comfort zone and moving forward. I also need to set some goals for myself very soon.

I think it's going to be really cool seeing everyone and how they start off at the seminar. They're often very negative and standoffish. The first day the staff members will be dancing around and providing lots of energy which will be fun, and hard. I remember when I was taking it and I saw them dancing around. Everyone was just thinking, "What's wrong with these people?" Anyway, it should be fun. And seeing how people change and move themselves should be fun. It will also be frustrating, I'm sure, but everyone moves at their own pace.

I wish I had more people I know taking the seminar. They all found one reason or another to to back out. It's too bad people are so afraid of change or challenging themselves and just going outside of their comfort zone. I wish my friends would trust me more. It's not like I'm asking them to do something for me. I'm asking people to do something for themselves, and no one found themselves deserving enough to take that step forward. I've been through a lot with a lot of people, and one thing that I have taken from this experience is that money is something that could damage some of my closest friendships. Fact of the matter is, I have put down hundreds of dollars on a whim based on speculative things my friends have told me that turned out to be a waste of time, whereas now, something that I can guarantee worth the trouble -- and money -- gets shot down by everyone including all my closest friends whose trust I feel like I deserve but still don't get. I feel lucky that at least I'll get to be there again, and after this weekend I hope that I will seem noticeably changed for the "better."

And I get to break out all my suits and sport those. Yay! =)

4 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Brian Mangan said...

Dude, you know my feelings about the Seminar, and I have to say that this post is extremely insulting. Just because its vague doesn't make it not so.

That's all I'm going to say about that, except for:

"It's great being around people who actually want to move forward. I feel like not being around those people is a disservice to myself because otherwise I will probably get stuck in a rut not going anywhere either."

I hope that other people's negativity doesn't affect you as much as you make it sound. The only good thing I've ever learned from my father is to be accountable for myself. Every decision/act is you.

 
At 2/03/2006 4:33 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I'm not getting into an argument about taking responsibility. Everything I have in my life is a result of my own actions. I was merely pointing out that associating with people who are going nowhere or who have no ambitions does not benefit the direction in which I would like to head in my life. You're going to tell me you disagree? You really do spend too much time trying to take apart things people say to try to make them look bad. And if you want to be insulted by my post then that's your own choice. You could have just as easily agreed which would have been just as fine. It's funny how I get crap about not taking sides, and when I take the side of forward movement and progress is the time I insult people. It's not like I made anything up. I appreciate progress...deal with it. If you feel like you're moving forward in your life then a)there's no reason to feel insulted, and b)chances are I wasn't referring to you. Also...good luck on your LSAT.

 
At 2/03/2006 6:56 AM, Blogger qskindred said...

First of all, it's great that you're moving forward in your life! Commendations.

Second, I feel like I'm moving forward in my life, but even I feel a bit insulted.

Third, it's ironic that you are obviously disapproving of others planning a gambling trip (people who work 50-80 hrs a week who only get to see the sun once a week), when you yourself have lost hundreds of dollars based on the speculation of others in the past.

Afterall, we all agree that we're all responsible for our own actions, even when it comes to the amount of trust you place in friends.

Anyway I think you'll see it from a different angle when you start working 50-80 hrs a week.

::ducking::

 
At 2/03/2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

First off, thank you!
Secondly, I'm sorry you feel insulted, but again, that's your own choice. I understand your point and why you might feel insulted, but I never disapproved of those things that I listed. In fact, I DO all of those things that I listed like hanging out, going out drinking, watching the Super Bowl, and if I wasn't at the seminar I would absolutely be going to Foxwoods with everyone. I wasn't trying to knock or insult people or certain activities. I was expressing my pride over what I chose to do given the other options available to me. (The speculative thing wasn't a gambling related.) So if anyone was insulted, I apologize. I don't want you to think that I'm sitting here passing judgment on everything and everyone. I'm not. Those who know me well know I do my best to pass no judgments at all to the point where it's probably a fault. I'm just glad I'm getting the opportunity to support and to grow. I do hope everyone has a blast doing whatever they're doing this weekend. I wish I could be out there with all of you too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home